Private Counselling for Spouses of Sex Addicts in Australia with Renown Sex Addiction Therapist Sydney and Online
Need help for spouses of sex and porn addicts? As a wife or spouse of a sex or pornography addict you most certainly experience very serious emotional upheaval upon discovery of your husband’s or partner’s betrayal. Many spouses of sex addicts experience significant clinical distress and sex-addiction-induced-trauma (SAI-T) caused by sexual betrayal, and many spouses may require treatment from a specialist.
MY PARTNER IS ADDICTED TO PORN
Expression of healthy sexual intimacy is a wonderful experience of pleasure, relaxation, and deep emotional connection. The experience of sex is very different for a sexual addict and their partner. Sexual and pornography addictions are disorders of the brain, also termed Progressive Intimacy Disorders. Sex and pornography addiction disorders are characterised by escalations of compulsive sexual and pornographic thoughts, obsessive preoccupation with sex, escalations of sexual acts, overwhelming sexual cravings, anger, regrets, mood swings, and growing isolation. Despite the addict’s awareness of the negative consequences their behaviour is causing, they find themselves unable to stop their sexual compulsions without clinical intervention by professional sex addiction therapists. If you believe your husband or partner could be addicted to sex or pornography, there is professional information, and confidential spouse support and help available for you at Sex Addiction Australia.
IS YOUR PARTNER FULLY AWARE OF THE DAMAGE HE IS CAUSING
As a part of sexual addiction disorder, addicts experience cognitive distortions and spiritual disconnection, and therefore tend to fail to fully appreciate the extent of the damage their behaviour is causing to themselves, and the enormity of impact their behaviour is having on their spouse and family. Being a spouse of a sex addict, you may feel helpless and isolated when observing the unfolding of your partner’s addictive problem. Sex Addiction Australia can help with focusing firmly on your emotional needs with providing professional spouse and partner support counselling in private one-on-one appointments.
- Sex therapists and sex addiction specialists report increasing numbers of partners and spouses of sex and pornography addicts seeking help for coming to terms with marital betrayal trauma.
- Sex Addiction Australia can help. We can STOP the vicious cycle of porn and sex addiction. We offer professional help for spouses of sex addicts, sex addiction treatment for the addict, relapse prevention intervention, and specialised relationship and marriage counselling.
YOU ARE NOT TO BLAME IF YOUR PARTNER IS ADDICTED TO SEX OR PORN
Spouses of sex addicts often blame themselves, receive partner blame, or become subjected to destructive criticism from others for their partners’ sexual addiction. In reality, sexual addiction is a disorder of the brain and cannot be caused by another person. You have not contributed to the development of your husband’s or partner’s sexual addiction, nor was it ever in your power to stop it. Sexual addictions are the most hidden of all addictions. However, you may have been experiencing long standing marital problems in your couple, and you may feel unattractive due to a lack of being sexually desired and loved. You may have been unwilling, or unable to give sex for various reasons. Unresolved marital and sexual intimacy problems may stand in the way, but none can create a sexual addiction.
Instead, as a partner of a sex addict you are likely to experience an array of devastating and conflicting emotions linked to sexual betrayal, such as shock, numbness, disbelief, disgust, emotional constriction, extreme agitation, disturbed sleep, nightmares, concentration difficulties, struggling to manage daily demands, out of character anger, panic attacks, anxiety, hair loss, depression, hopelessness, loss of trust, feelings of unworthiness and rejection, humiliation, loss of self-esteem, loss of identity, fear of the future, and more…… and you may blame yourself.
You have NOT gone crazy, although you may feel that way. Your reactions to such sudden, unexpected, out of your control. and threatening life-changing traumatic events are very normal and can be treated by a professional sex addiction counsellor.
HELPING YOURSELF, THEN HELPING YOUR PARTNER
Your sex addicted spouse has lost control over his behaviour. There is no biological evidence that sex addicts have abnormally high sex drives. Successful sex addiction therapy enables sex addicts to fully recover and to develop normal healthy sexual intimacy. If you want to help your spouse, you need to help yourself first.
- Remind yourself of your original goals and agreements in your relationship.
- Determine what is acceptable behaviour in your relationship, and what is unacceptable.
- Set firm boundaries.
- Communicate these boundaries to your addicted husband/partner.
- Prepare for denial, lying, rejection, and anger as a part of his sexual addiction.
- Stay focused and firm. NO level of abuse is acceptable.
- Be aware of your own upheaval and rightful anger, but separate your anger from any urge you might feel to retaliate.
- Make your spouse’s commitment to recovery a condition for the continuation of your relationship.
- Get professional support for yourself, allowing you to come to terms with your own emotions in your own time. You are likely to experience sex addiction induced trauma (SAI-T) or complex post-traumatic-stress disorder (C-PTSD), triggered by your partner’s betrayal.
- Remind yourself, sex addiction is a treatable disorder of the brain.
- And over 70% of couples report they want to salvage their relationship and solve their traumatic upheaval together. With intelligent expert sex addiction therapy and committed work, you can.
HOW OUR SPOUSE SUPPORT & SEX ADDICTION THERAPY WORKS
- The key to full recovery from pornography and sexual addiction lies in an addict’s full commitment to therapy, and Sex Addiction Australia’s 20 years experience in professional therapeutic intervention, using our deep reaching person tailored treatment and relapse prevention program.
- Our spouse support therapy focuses firmly on your emotional needs with coming to terms with the traumatic impacts of marital betrayal, and helping you with determining your next steps.
- Our clinical sex addiction therapist and relationship counsellor is available for regular, interactive and intensive couples and individual sessions.